Are you planning on backpacking around the world? Do you want to travel light and keep all of your belongings with you? Looking for something you can carry your stuff on and off the plane? The best travel backpack is the one that allows you to carry your essentials with you no matter how far you are away from home. Backpacking has grown in popularity over the past few years, especially in Europe and Asia. Travel backpack touring is a fast growing travel method nowadays, and finding a backpack to fit your needs is an important part of that. No matter if you’re looking for a break from your job or from the rigors of a college education, a backpacking excursion can be just what you need.
One thing you need besides your passport is a quality travel backpack that can fit in the overhead bin of a commercial jet. This simple difference will save yourself a lot of headaches at your destination trying to sort through baggage claim. I have compiled a list of the 6 best travel backpacks for you and give my selection of the one I use and think is the best. Read along for a bit and see if you agree.
So Which Is Our Best Travel Backpack?
Below is a table of the highest rated travel backpacks on the market currently, as a traveler I use a travel backpack myself I routinely like see what is new and different.h
[table id=3 /]
This is the newest travel backpack on the market and it is one of the hottest around, designed with the experienced backpack traveler in mind.
- Maximum-sized carry on backpack: 22″ x 14″ x 9″
- Front-loading to keep your clothes organized and easy to reach
- Laptop sleeve fits computers up to 17″
- Lockable zippers on the main compartment and laptop sleeve for added security (locks not included)
- Padded shoulder straps, padded hip belt, and chest strap to prevent back, neck, and shoulder pain
This lightweight travel backpack is one of the best buys on the market today. In fact, it sells out so quickly it has to be back ordered.
Pros: Overall and excellent travel backpack
Cons: No waterproof cover
[easyazon_cta add_to_cart=”default” align=”left” asin=”B003GBYWFY” cloaking=”default” height=”28″ key=”wide-orange” localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” tag=”becaonlubl-20″ width=”176″]
Versatile and with a large frame this Backpack as the strength and durability of many much larger and more expensive packs.
- Lightweight travel backpack with 3,400-cubic-inch capacity
- Unisex harness with spacer back panel and light wire suspension system
- ErgoPull hipbelt closure; suspension system zips up and stores in panel
- Removable sleeping pad straps; removable zip-and-clip daypack
- Available in S/M and M/L unisex sizes; weighs 2 pounds
This is a top of the line back pack that can double as a hiking as well as a urban touring backpack.
Pro: Excellent product and quality manufacturing
Cons: Not overhead bin friendly
[easyazon_cta add_to_cart=”default” align=”left” asin=”B006P64G1C” cloaking=”default” height=”28″ key=”wide-orange” localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” tag=”becaonlubl-20″ width=”176″]
This travel pack is a lightweight backpack that can go the distance.
- Upgraded zip-away shoulder harness with adjustable sternum strap and rescue whistle buckle
- Tuck-away fabric waistbelt with 1.5″ / 38mm webbing
- Foam padded sidewalls create structured carry and protect contents
- Straight jacket compression secures any size load effectively
- Zippered top pocket provides quick access to toiletries and liquids
This travel backpack is the smaller sibling of the Osprey 55. It is smaller, more bin friendly, and lighter which is perfect for shorter trips to carry and maneuver through crowded cities and airports.
Pros: Bin friendly
Cons: I believe it is not as comfortable as other backpacks
[easyazon_cta add_to_cart=”default” align=”left” asin=”B009R6B3NQ” cloaking=”default” height=”28″ key=”wide-orange” localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” tag=”becaonlubl-20″ width=”176″]
The Redwing is one of the best travel backpacks on the market and its quality is unsurpassed.
- Redwing is one of the most popular packs in Kelty’s product line
- Roomy main compartment, convenient organization pockets, sturdy LightBeam II stay and suspension system, and comfortable design
- Panel loading with zippered side pockets and large front pocket with organization; hydration compatible with reservoir sleeve
- 3,100-cubic-inch volume and three-pound, nine-ounce weight; measures 18-by-25-by-14.5-inches (W x H x D)
- Includes limited lifetime manufacturer’s warranty
This travel pack is an excellent pack that able to hold its own against any on the market. This is a middle of the road travel backpack which can fill multiple uses.
Pros: One of the best dual purpose travel backpacks out there
[easyazon_cta add_to_cart=”default” align=”left” asin=”B004IMLF4G” cloaking=”default” height=”28″ key=”wide-orange” localization=”default” locale=”US” nofollow=”default” new_window=”default” tag=”becaonlubl-20″ width=”176″]
This pack for some reason is not listed on Amazon But is one of the top picks for travel backpack by many reviewers and people in the industry.
- Durable lightweight ripstop nylon compacts easily for packing or storage but is hardy enough for the rigors of travel
- Rucksack style pack with top pocket and drawcord access to main body
- Pack folds up into its own zippered stuff pocket for easy transport or storage
- REI Stuff Travel Daypack has side mesh pockets with elastic closures that hold water bottles and allow easy access to small essentials
This is a lightweight entry to the travel backpack market. While low cost, it is made by REI which has a reputation for making excellent products.
Pros: Lightweight and durable
Cons: Unlike some of the other backpacks, it may not be up to the rigor of extended use
This is the premiere backpack for quality and ease of use for the seasoned traveler and newbie alike.
- FABRIC -| 500D Cordura; 1000D Cordura; 210D Nylon Interior Lining; 2mm Neoprene; Soft Lining (phone pocket)
- DIMENSIONS – 55 x 35 x 20(cm) / 21.65 x 13.77 x 7.87(in)
- COMPONENTS – YKK zips (both compartments padlock-able), Duraflex and Woojin buckles
- WEIGHT-1.4kg / 3.08lb (+ removable rain cover 70g / 2.47oz; removable hip stabiliser belt 70g / 2.47oz)
- WEATHER- Main bag rated to 1000mm; seam-sealed rain cover to 1500mm
- DEVICE COMPARTMENT – Main sleeve fits up to 15-inch Macbook Pro, with strap to hold smaller units safely. Second sleeve holds up to MacBook Air 11-inch ( iPads and Kindles fit beautifully as well)
- DRINK HOLDER – Holds bottles of up to approx 9cm / 3.54in diameter w/ adjustable cord
- ACCESSORIES – 3.8cm / 1.5in removable webbing hip stabiliser strap; adjustable, clip-away sternum strap
- FINISH – Internally-bound seams
This is the Rolls Royce of travel backpacks. It is a bit steeply priced but is quality and worth every penny. The weather cover and neoprene lining ensure your stuff remains dry. Designed to be bin friendly and laptop capable this is a winner.
Pros: This backpack will be one that lasts for years and can take anything you throw at it. Perhaps the best travel backpack on the planet.
Cons: Price might set some back on their heels
Best Travel Backpack Conclusion:
This selection provides you with the best in travel backpacks out there on the market today. Most may be purchased from Amazon or from their respective manufacturers. I was hard pressed to select the best of the bunch I was inclined to choose the Minall Carry On as it is by far one of the best on the market. If price is a factor, choose the Tortuga Travel Backpack. However, your situation might dictate which is the best travel backpack for your needs.
Whichever best travel backpack you choose, travel backpacking is a wonderful way to see the world and meet the interesting people that live in it.